Are you unable to open a Mac Excel spreadsheet? Do you get “Excel could not open file” error message? This problem most frequently occurs, but not limited to, with the Excel for Mac files after you import data into the spreadsheets. The error message indicates corruption to the spreadsheet and you have to opt for Mac Excel recovery solutions to extract inaccessible data.
Consider a situation where you import some data from CSV or text files to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and the spreadsheet becomes inaccessible after that. When you try to open the file, the following error message pops up:
“Excel could not open filename.xlsx because some content is unreadable. Do you want to open and repair this workbook? If Excel cannot repair the file, some data may be lost.”
When you repair Excel file Mac by saying yes to the above error message, you get further message:
“Excel repaired or removed unreadable content from this workbook. Do you want to review or save the loge file?”
You can save the log file here and review the changes made to the file. However, in most cases, the file either remains inaccessible or you lose some of the contents from the file.
This problem most frequently occurs due to:
- Data Connections to the original file, which you have imported to Mac Excel.
- Version of the Mac Excel or Office for Mac is not updated with the recent updates.
- The file was created using the previous version of Mac Excel and is not supported in the current version.
- The file is damaged — by viruses, improper system shutdown, application malfunction etc. — and is unreadable by Excel.
Solution to this problem actually depends upon the cause. Following is the list of some of the possible solutions:
- Turn off the Data Connections or move the file to another location.
- Install the latest updates to Excel Mac and try to open the file.
- Try opening the file in an earlier version and move its contents to newer version.
- Restore the file from updated backup.
- Use third-party recovery applications to repair and restore the corrupted file.
The commercial recovery tools are specifically designed to extract inaccessible data from the spreadsheets. They ensure absolute recovery with the cutting-edge recovery techniques.