Microsoft Excel for Mac is a multi-purpose application, which you can use for maintain records as well as recording your expenses and so on. It allows you to use formulas in the spreadsheet for calculations. However, when you add several formulas and macros to the spreadsheet, it becomes very complex and gets prone to corruption. In case of corruption, the entire file becomes inaccessible and you need to opt for Mac Excel repair solutions.
Consider the below mentioned scenarios, which usually occurs while opening an Excel file, to understand this problem:
- You update an Excel for Mac file, which contains complex budget data, and close the file.
- When you try to open the file again to make some changes, it becomes inaccessible.
- Excel for Mac gives you the following error message and file does not open:
“The file you are trying to open is possibly read-only or the location you are trying to open is read-only. Or the server you are trying to access is not responding.”
- The problem is with some selected files. All other files open fine.
When you run across this issue, you need to recover Excel files Mac to get your critical data back.
You can sort out this critical issue with the help of following steps:
- Repair the disk permissions using the Disk Utility.
- Open Excel for Mac application and use Open option to open the file.
- Remove Excel preferences and restart the application and then try to open the file.
- Change the extension of the file from .xls to .xlsx. This helps in a number of cases.
- Restore the file from the most recent backup on the Time Machine or any other storage media.
- If nothing works, use third-party recovery application to repair and restore the damaged spreadsheet.
The recovery tools are particularly designed to extract all inaccessible data from the corrupt Excel files. The software can restore all file objects, including charts, text, colors, formatting, and so on. You can use free demo version of the application to check features and functionality of the application and see preview of recoverable files.
By Subhash Chandra
Are you unable to open an Excel for Mac 2008 file stored on the network drive? Do you get read-only file errors while accessing the file? If you answer is yes to any of these questions, then the file may be damaged. The corruption may take place if more than one user tries to update the file simultaneously. In such situations, you need to opt for Mac Excel repair solutions to extract data from inaccessible file.
Consider the below mentioned situations that you may encounter while accessing an Excel for Mac 2008 file from a network drive:
- When you access the file, it fails to open.
- You get the following error message when you open the file:
“This workbook contains content that is not supported by Excel 2008 for Mac.
To view the unsupported content in the file, you can open the workbook as read-only. However, if you change and then save the workbook, unsupported content will not be saved. “
It makes your critical data unusable and you have to recover Excel files Mac using advanced recovery techniques.
This problem most frequently occurs due to:
- Insufficient access permissions.
- Damaged preferences files.
- Corruption to the Mac Excel file.
Try the following steps to fix this issue:
- Check the network permissions and ask your administrator to give you read-write access.
- Remove the Mac Excel or Office for Mac preferences and then restart your Mac Excel application.
- Restore the file from the most recent backup on the Time Machine. This is the most effective way to extract inaccessible data.
If nothing works, use third-party recovery applications to repair and restore the corrupt Mac Excel file. Such tools are designed to scan the entire file using advanced recovery algorithms and restore the file to its original format.
By Subhash Chandra
Microsoft Excel for Mac allows you to select the automatic calculation mode. This workbook mode enables you to make the changes to Excel workbook and MS Excel automatically recalculates all the affected parts. However, there are some situations, where automatic calculation mode can damage the file, if it is shared on the server. This problem makes the file inaccessible and you have to use Mac Excel repair solutions to extract inaccessible file.
Consider the below mentioned scenarios, which demonstrate this problem with Excel for Mac spreadsheets:
- You have an Excel file stored in a common repository.
- Both the users are using different versions of the application, 2011 and 2008.
- User with Excel 2011 version is able to see the file and its calculations properly.
- Another user with Excel 2008 version cannot access the references, formulas, and other calculations.
- To fix this problem, Excel 2008 user saved the file as xlsm file in the same repository.
- When both users tried to open the newly created file, they faced the same accessibility issues.
It makes your significant data in Mac Excel file inaccessible and you have to recover Excel files Mac using advanced recovery methods.
This problem may occur due to:
- Corruption to the file because of saving it to the server. Excel files are not designed to be edited simultaneously on the server.
- The automatic calculation mode is not working properly, may be because of preferences corruption in the Excel application.
You can fix automatic calculation mode issue by:
- Saving the file to local hard drive and try accessing it.
- Remove Excel for Mac preferences, restart your Mac, and open the file.
- Restore the damaged file from the most recent backup of the damaged file.
- Use third-party recovery applications to restore damaged file and extract inaccessible data.
The commercial recovery tools are capable of retrieving your precious data in all corruption cases. They restore all file objects, including formulas, formatting, charts, graphics, and more. Such tools do not edit or remove the original data.
By Subhash Chandra
Microsoft Excel, a spreadsheet application from Microsoft, is the most popular and useful spreadsheet application. It is also available for Mac OS X operating system works the exact same way as it does on Windows machine. However, there are some situations, where you may find that Excel does not open certain files and you get errors. Such issues make your significant files inaccessible and put you in need of Mac Excel repair solutions.
You may experience this problem with any version of the Mac Excel application. Consider the situation to understand this problem more effectively:
- When you start the application or open a file, the application closes unexpectedly.
- At the same time, you encounter the following error message that makes the program inaccessible:
“The application Microsoft Excel quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. Click relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple.”
It makes your significant data in the file inaccessible and you have to recover Excel files Mac using advanced recovery mechanisms to retrieve your data.
The most frequent causes of this problem are as given below:
- Damaged Excel preferences.
- Operating system issues.
- Hard drive failure or corruption.
- If the problem is with a particular file, file corruption could be the cause of this issue.
Follow the steps to fix this problem:
- Close all Office applications. The best way to do this is to restart your computer.
- Remove Excel for Mac preferences from Home-> Library-> Preferences-> Microsoft-> Office <version>.
- Preform safe boot to get rid of system related issues. It will fix the problem of interfering of background programs with Excel.
- Repair Mac OS X hard drive permissions using the Disk Utility tool. It fixes common hard drive related issues.
- Remove the existing installation of Microsoft Office for Mac and reinstall it. It fixes the problem of missing installation files or damaged installation.
If you do not get any success using the above steps, you need to use third-party recovery application to repair and restore the corrupted file. The recovery tools are designed to take care of all corruption problems and restore the damaged files cleanly.
By Subhash Chandra